Thursday, September 9, 2010

Who to cheer for this weekend

It's a big weekend in college football, with no shortage of marquee matchups.
I'm here to address the questions you may have about two of those games- specifically, the tilts between Florida State and Oklahoma and Miami (FL) and Ohio State.
As a Florida fan, it's easy to simply cheer against the Seminoles and Canes. We hate them. It's in our nature. However, I'll be the first to admit- in every game that Florida State plays against a team other than the Gators, I would prefer that they win. I do no actively cheer for them (that would be wrong) but as I tried to explain to my ex many times over, strength of schedule is important.
First thing's first-Miami visits Ohio State. Why should we care about this game? The Gators don't play either team this year, so why do we care about the outcome? It's simple- while we don't play either team, Florida State plays Miami. This is why I will be pulling for the Canes. It helps that I also hate Ohio State, but we need the Canes to win. Subsequently, we need the Seminoles to beat the Canes- you see where I'm going with this? The Canes, should they win against everyone other than the Noles, will be a highly ranked team- and if the Noles beat them, it just looks better when we beat the Noles.
By the same note, we want the Noles to beat the Sooners- they're a top ten team (according to the fools who think it's appropriate to rank teams so early in the year) and a win over them would make FSU soar in these same bogus rankings. Which is only good for us.
So swallow your pride- Pull for the Canes and the Noles this weekend. And while you're at it, cheer for the HBC to put up 50 on Georgia (or at least beat them) because to hell with Georgia!

No comments: