Monday, November 2, 2009

Gouge-gate

By now, I'm pretty sure everyone on the planet has seen this video of Brandon Spikes in Saturday's WLOCP game.

It appears that Brandon stuck his hand inside Washaun Ealey's facemask and tried to gouge his eyes. I try and be unbiased (ask my girlfriend- it drives her crazy that people like Jesse Palmer and I aren't homers), but I think it's hard to prove intent there. Sure, it looks bad, but we can't be 100% sure that Brandon wasn't going for the ball and stuck his hand in the facemask instead. Still, it does look very damning.
That said, Urban Meyers has announced that Spikes will be suspended for the first half of the game agaisnt Vanderbilt. This morning, I told my girlfriend that the university should suspend him for the whole game. Why the whole game? Let's be real- the Gators don't need Brandon Spikes in a home night game against Vanderbilt, and should the SEC or NCAA find something wrong, perhaps they won't levy a punishment if they believe UF has already taken care of it.
Time will tell, and I do believe that Spikes should not dress on Saturday. Rivalry games bring out the best in people, but they also bring out the worst sometimes.

No comments: