Monday, October 12, 2009

First rankings of the season

With six weeks of college football behind us, and the rest of the blogosphere already ripe with rankings, I've decided it's time to throw my hat into the fray. By this point in the season, teams have already begun their conference slates and played some decent non-conference games. I'm one of the camp that thinks it's a bit silly to rank teams early in the season, so don't be surprised if these rankings don't look like the ones you'd find on ESPN. So without further ado, my week 7 rankings.

1. Florida
2. Alabama
3. Texas
4. Virginia Tech
5. Iowa
6. Cincinnati
7. South Florida
8. Miami (FL)
9. LSU
10. TCU
11. Kansas
12. Nebraska
13. South Carolina
14. Auburn
15. Boise State
16. Oregon
17. Georgia Tech
18. Southern California
19. Ohio State
20. Houston
21. Penn State
22. Wisconsin
23. Oklahoma State
24. Notre Dame
25. Pittsburgh

Even with a decent sample size to work with, this was still tough. I feel like the bottom of the rankings, say 15 on down, is kind of a crapshoot, and I'm not 100 percent satisfied. Trying to keep in mind the team's losses, strength of schedule, etc. is tough, but I think I'm pretty close to right.
Feel free to leave comments and let me know what you think- Is someone too high, too low, did I leave a deserving team out?
That being said, here are some match-ups to watch of my ranked teams this weekend:

#18 Southern California @ #24 Notre Dame (preview Tuesday, 10/13)
#5 Iowa @ #22 Wisconsin (preview Wednesday, 10/14)
#6 South Florida vs #7 Cincinnati (preview Thursday, 10/15)
#4 Virginia Tech @ #17 Georgia Tech (preview Friday, 10/16)
#2 Alabama vs #13 South Carolina (preview Saturday, 10/17)

No comments: